Sunday, February 20, 2011

King Uzziah- My favorite Bible quote

Isaiah 6 (New International Version, ©2010)

 

Isaiah 6

Isaiah’s Commission
KIng Uzziah
Seraphim
 1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:    “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
   the whole earth is full of his glory.”
 4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
 5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.”
 6 Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”
 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
   And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”
******************************************************


I love the imagery-- the seraphim with the tongs---


I often picture a Dean Martin kind of a guy, in a shadowy night club with a drink and a cigarette, reciting this seated at a table with a jazz piano in the background....In the year King Uzziah died....

Oh well, off to church.... My pomeranian Gentleman friend is singing a Steve Earl song today...  it will be fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment